Established on the Internet in 1992
Welcome to the original
Online BookStore (OBS)
K12 Educators in Connecticut, New Hampshire, Massachusetts
"Catch the Internet Wave"
April / May 1995
Seminar Sponsor: Cisco Systems
Organized by Online BookStore and Educators Plus
Why We Are Here
- Evolution is taking a deliberate step forward, and K12 educators play a key role. Staying ahead of and enabling the students: a key challenge
- Internet is not a hobby or a casual interest but a "need to know" subject now
- Impossible to ignore
- Dissolving boundaries between school and home, between school and school, between countries. Need to create a new language to describe and understand our new roles as parents and educators in the online environment.
- Cisco Systems
"The success of the Internet is a stunning testament to the capability of Cisco
John Duhring, Vice President, WAIS, Inc.
- Educators Plus --- Dan Fleming, Principal, Rockport High School
- Teachers, Professors and Practitioners
- Mort Sternheim, Dept. of Physics, UMass-Amherst, Proprietor, UMASS/K12 network
- Rita Hannaford, Library Science and Rosanna Moakley, World Studies
- Online BookStore, (OBS), pioneers of distributive publishing
- Laura Fillmore, President
- Dee Landergren, Vice President
- Equipment we are using and connectivity in this room
- Places we will touch into during this talk
- Our seminar is itself a living Internet hypertext publication
What are the Goals of this Seminar
- Basic familiarity of the Internet
- A view of what your colleagues are doing today on the Internet
- Understanding of the components of a "Tech Plan"
Who Is Today's Audience?
- Use Email? Every day?
- Here for personal learning? Professional? Both?
- Use Web? Every day?
What we will do: 40 minutes of presentation then 10 minutes of Q&A
- What Are Computer Networks
- Two computers 'talking'
- Bits and Atoms
- The whole is more than the sum of its part
- Beginnings: National Park System
- Academic and Research Oriented: The Culture
- Open networking: TCP/IP standards enabling any computer to talk to any other computer.
- Packet Switched Network
- Bits about Bits
- Commercialization starting in 1992: Six Flags over Disney Gardens
- Distributed vs. Contained Network
- No front door - no single phone number
- Not a service such as CompuServe, Prodigy, or AOL
- Global Access/Local Phone Call
- Analogy to Contained vs Distributed Books
- No one in Control: uncensored
- Three tools and a rule: The Internet Tool Box
- Hypertext: Chunks and Packets
- Shakespeare by the Bit
- Dissolving, transporting, and reconstituting documents and pictures
- Textbooks as early examples of printed hypertext
- Involved reader (students) in Q&A
- The reader rules in a kinetic world where boundaries are erased
- World Wide Web (W3 or "The Web")
- Subset of the Internet: Computers all talking HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol) to each other
- Point and Click Hypertext publishing system
- Multimedia: Anything digitized can be linked into Anything
- Surfing the Web: What is a Browser?
- Gopher--Text only, hierarchically structured. Librarians loved it.
- Meshworks of Associative Thought
- Chaotic: Multidimentional channel surfing
- Browser is analogous to the "car" you drive around the Web:
- Browser Wars Imminent: Film at Eleven: Big Money being spent on secure browsers
- How to Connect and What Does it Cost:
- Modems Speed Rules
- Phone Line
- How to pay for it
- Leased line scales best with fixed rate costs
- Start small: biggest challenge is imaginative
- Sponsors possible; government monies
- Has anyone ever *dis*connect a school for lack of interest?
- Involve community
- Accounts for parents and students
- School as participant on the net
Change in attitude at these seminars, from curiosity to a real hunger for knowledge and eagerness not to be left behind. We can help with one-on-one visits and seminars, especially during the upcoming summer.
K12 - Seminars
- OBS Seminar
- The Vietnamese Memorial Association: Elementary Schools in the Quang Tri Province
- The StarChild Project: NASA + K12 Classroom
- Virtual Frog Dissection Kit Info Page
- Art-ROM Museum Web
- Web of Wonder - Index
- Web of Wonder - Elementary
- Web of Wonder - Secondary
- Index of WWW Resources for the K12 Teacher
- KID List
- KidPub WWW Publishing
- Cisco Systems' Special Offer
- The Internet and Schools: A Survey of Networking Activities
- The J.R.R. Tolkien Information Page
- Children's Literature Web Guide
- Welcome to Maynard High School
- Welcome to the Maynard Public Schools
- Hanscom AFB Schools Home Page
- Connecticut SNP
- State Networking Project
- World-Wide Web servers: Connecticut
- CallNet Home Page
- Welcome to Insurance News Network
- PCNet HOME Page
- NetAxis - Your Link to the Internet!
- ACES -- Area Cooperative Educational Services