Welcome! You are viewing an archival page at archives.obs-us.com.
Archival pages at OBS appear in the format in which they first were posted. They remain online at OBS for scholarly purposes only; proper attribution required if you link to these archives.
Overview and BackgroundPublishing systems and services since 1982
Internet site developers since 1992
Moving to the Internet? From concept through implementation and hosting, OBS builds custom Internet (and Intranet) sites for leading companies.
Unlike the many newcomers to the Web, OBS has a history of innovation and accomplishment, as well as a vision for the future. We began publishing online in 1992, the dawn of Internet commercialization, and have continually adapted our approach, from early Mosaic, to Netscape and IE, and into client/server database sites.
Visit OBS's content-rich "museum" of online projects, compelling evidence of OBS's years of pioneering. Our newest sites demonstrate the latest functionality for client-controlled generated sites.
OBS approaches the Internet as more than a new platform for marketing existing products. We help our clients discover new potentials through internetworking. Customizing our ideas-and software-every time out, OBS enables each of our client companies to "move into" this new space and to work effectively online.
OBS Builds Sites That Work
- Visit the Phillips Exeter Academy and the Lawrenceville School to see OBS design and implementation of leading educational sites. OBS builds "nontechnical" software so that our clients can regularly update and monitor their own sites.
- For Springhouse Publishers (a division of Reed Elsevier) OBS developed a very successful continuing education program including online testing software, integration of the certificate-granting institution, and an online credit-card clearing process. The site has proven profitable both financially, and in terms of gaining experience and visibility in the online distance learning field.
- OBS appreciates the importance of customized access to ideas and information. We have used online database publishing since 1994. Starting with the bestselling Bernice Cheslerís Bed & Breakfast in New England, OBS has developed strategies and programs for database publishing online, satisfying millions of travelersí information needs.
- Working with Gordon and Breach Publishers, a leading publisher of sci-tech books and journals with 30 offices worldwide, OBS is developing and enhancing their internal production system by building online authorsí and editorsí offices. Password-enabled users can access online articles, submit manuscripts, and access proprietary information concerning their manuscripts. The online site extends the reach of Gordon and Beach central offices to company vendors and employees worldwide.
- OBS has designed and hosts an Internet/Intranet database site for the Dekker Corporation. The client maintains complete control of the files, and Dekkerís management, editorial, production, and marketing people remotely update the database site at any time. Weíve customized "nontechnical" tools for updating databases, and for monitoring traffic at the site.
- It isnít only OBS who believes that every web site is in fact a publishing site; a wide variety of companies are turning to OBS for their online publishing needs: public relations, manufacturing, and movie companies are turning to OBS to build and host their Internet sites. The Miramax Films site at OBS, for example, features seven Internet Projections of leading movies, as well as an online storefront featuring Miramax books, posters, CDs and clothing. Its high content component has brought moviegoers from around the world to the front door of Miramax Films.
Open Book Systems (OBS) began in 1992 as a division of Editorial Inc. (a book production company and literary agency founded in 1982), and was incorporated in 1994 as Online BookStore (OBS), Ltd. In 1995, "Online BookStore" became "Open Book Systems," in order to reflect our mission: to explore and develop the Internet as a publishing platform and business environment in its own right. .
Our experience lends itself unusually well to the online publishing environment. With our full-time staff, supplemented by over 100 freelancers, we have produced hundreds of titles on paper, disk, and online for most of the leading publishers in the US. Our strong publishing background, combined with extensive internetworking knowledge and experience, make OBS a valuable partner on the Net.
© Copyright 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 OBS
Comments to email@example.com